And this is why I hate Showtime's The Tudors

When I heard that this show was coming out in Spring 2007 via a Yahoo tudor costuming site, I was very excited about it. Then, I saw the costumes. If you are looking for some TV/movies that show tudor era clothing, don't go to this show. This show comes no where close to what men, women, common and royal wore during the early to mid 1500's in England. The story I have to say, I have liked for the first 2 seasons that I have watch after release on to DVD, despite me cussing at the TV every time I saw something completely modern on one of ladies heads ("WTF is on her head!?!?!?"). I am not sure how off they are on the story, but for the most part of what I know, and I am still learning, they are pretty close and well enough.

Then, today, my husband asked if maybe The Tudors had the show on Hulu or such site. No, they didn't. But they did have was a link to season 3, episode 7 with a snapshot being of Anne of Cleves. O...M...G!!!! WTH is Anne wearing?!?!?!? Is THAT suppose to be 1530-40s German dress? That looks more Russian than German. Knowing I would feel sick to watch it, I did anyways wondering if I would get a better look. I wanted to puke! I may not have any interest in making some German garb (my persona is English, not German and there wasn't a lot of interaction with the two), but that doesn't mean I haven't looked at it to see what it looked like and if nothing else, have seen the portrait of this fine lady.

Then, in the clip, Henry introduces his 2 daughters. The Princess Mary, and The Princess Elizabeth? No. When Henry declared that his marriages to Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn were null and void, he also took that title away from the girls, saying that that they should only be Lady Mary and Lady Elizabeth. Now I may be wrong on this last point, but I am very sure on it.

Now, will I never watch the show again? No, but will not stop yelling at the TV when I see this crap that is suppose to be Tudor dress. And that is why I hate the show. Not because they tell history wrong, but because people who are wanting to make good tudor garb are going to look at this show and think this stuff is ok, and that is just WRONG!!!

Comments

malvoisine said…
I would rather have dental work than be forced to watch this show. Ever. Seriously. I manage to choke through the first 35 minutes of the first show and that was about it. And it's not just the horrific mish-mash of costume awfulness. Why, in god's name, when Henry VIII was one of the most prolific of promoters, who gave almost all of his closest friends a title, would they need to make up titles? It's crap. Utter, unmitigated crap.
I am still learning his history so I have to say I am with most people who don't know much better. I have kinda enjoyed the story, knowing full well that the story is off and kinda followings the basic, down and dirty history. My husband is having fun looking at the buildings and is really the one that has brought it home from the rental store. I kinda take watching this to watching the Twilight movies. All sugary fluff and not knowing what really lore (history) is.
Marta said…
I sat through the first season. Enough. When Henry Fitzroy dies at the age of two or three (instead of 17) is when I officially wrote it off.
Heck, since the writers felt the need to diddle with history, why didn't they just make Henry a vampire (a la Tanya Huff) or a courtier in the Fairy Realm (a la Mercedes Lackey)? Either alternative would've been an improvment...

Popular Posts