two... damn... INCHES!!!

So I took all the fabric that I had washed already and washed them again so that I knew I got all the "shrink" out of the fabric. The last thing I need is the interlining to shrink and the rest not. That happened to my first dress. And no, you will not see it cause the skirt became curtains. At least I learned something from the dress.

After I wash the fabric in hot water, rinsed in cold, and dried (I may not have done that one the higher heat, but I will be ok with that), I then ironed out the red linen for the outer layer, and the now pinkish light linen for the inner most lining. I then check to see how much shrinkage was in the inner lined. Not a full inch, but some. REALLY glad I washed everything again.

I then start to lay out the patten on the fabric to see how well the pattern will work. I get 3 of the 4 parts on. Set up the 4th....

From Projects
2 INCHES SHORT!?!? WTH! NONONONONONON!!!!!!

Ok. Easy fix. It may not look the best, but I my goal with this dress was to do something very period. I have so much fabric (maybe a gift) and I need a dress. I can tell you this, there will not be much in the way of scraps.

So the fix is that I will be relaying it out, but I will take one inch from the front strap for each part and then will take a scrap to add the inch back in. I really wish I didn't have to do it, but it is an easy fix and I don't think anyone would argue with my thinking on why I did it.

I deiced to wait on that and go work on the skirt. I was able to today get the first side seam set for it. If you are wondering how I am doing my seams, you can check it out here. And yes, I do plan on hand sewing most of this. Right now, I don't know where I plan on pulling out my sewing machine. I may end up being the hem cause I ran out of time, like always.

I did get something really cool though. My dad has a both for his fishing guild business, Fishing With Bear, at the Sportsmen's show this weekend. Today, Mike, my husband, helped out my dad at the show. On one of his breaks, he got me a full Arctic Fox pelt.

From Projects


While there was a part of me that looked at it and went "this was a cute fox at some point ", what came out and what I feel more strongly "Soft! Fluffy! It will breath!"

It was part of my birthday gift. The other part is the money to get the wool for a large, loose gown that will act like a coat for cold events. While I would love to line the whole thing with fur, which is what they did in period, the cost is not worth it for right now. Not sure what I will line the gown with since I want this to be very warm, but still breathable, and with how long it looks like these are normally, I want something that can handle getting very dirty. I may do leather or leather like fabric for the lower part of the gown. This the best pics I found online of what I will be going for, but not that nice right now. Later I will upload the pic from "The Tudor Tailor."




P.S. I posted this at about 1 am, so forgive me for the typos. I may come through later and ......zzzzzzz

Comments

Popular Posts