Hi. My name is Constance, and I am addicted to fiber arts.

I know, I know. That sounds really bad. But after this, you may have to agree with me.

Fall 2002: I taught my self to knit. Main reason was that I have issue with acrylic, what most low end sweaters are made out of. Got some books and magazines (didn't have really good internet back then), and some yarn and needles, and made my first scarf. I still have it, but it is lost in storage. I also got bit by the spinning bug, but with no teacher and not knowing anything about drop spindle, I didn't try. Made another scarf for my hubby, but for some reason, didn't start any other projects. May have been the cost of yarn.

Spring 2002: Mom sees that I have taken up knitting and has to teach me crochet. I started a hat that I didn't finish, but I did finish a bag for my husbands white tallit and kippah. Haven't finished any other projects

I think by that fall, I had give up on both. Forget what craft I picked up next, if any. I know I started to scrapbook just after my daughter was born in spring 2005, but sadly, I only kept with it for just over a year. Mainly because of space and because I started to really play World of Warcraft (WoW). 

Fall 2006: Just a few month before, a friend from WoW told us about this thing called the SCA and this event called 12th Night... would we like to go and finally meet face-to-face after chatting in game and over VoIP for about 2 years. Since we liked the idea of finally meeting, and my husband and I meet in our college theater department, with the first production we got to work on was Shakespeare's 12th Night. I started to work on a persona. For some crazy reason, miss "I have never really sewed before" me decided to go with 1530s england. You know, big sleeve tudors! Well I taught myself to sew by reading up online and getting a few books. Got some help from others, but mostly, I read. ALOT! Been sewing ever since, and really have been proud of most of my stuff, although some of the items have and will be scarped to make other things. Oh, and I made my own patterns.

At my first event, a small day event in Shire of Coeur du Val, in Corvallis, OR, I saw someone working with a lucet. I got one shortly after that and have also been working with it ever since to make cording for garb. 

Since then I have picked up, embroidery (mainly canvaswork, but also some regular stuff also) fingerloope braiding. I have also tried to my hand at, but for one reason or another I didn't keep it up, brocade card weaving, spinning, needle lace, and I think something else. 

About 2 weeks ago, my mom went to a knitters guild event here in Portland. She got me a lesson and set up for learning to spin yarn. I was told I was a "natural". Great. I another fiber art. And this one is really hard to put down after you start. I spinned for several hours for about 3 days. The night of the 3rd, I stopped when I felt something not good in my left hand. The next day, I felt something like carpel tunnel. Haven't done any since. I do want to pick it back up since the one thing I would love to work with for lucet and fingerloope braiding is linen and sink yarn, and I just can't fine any in a good weight for those too (think crochet thread).

I am not sure what fiber art will be next. I have thought to take knitting up again, but with so many other projects, I just can't bring myself to yet. I know my mom has it out for me to start knitting again. Fighting her off to not start is hard. And it isn't so much that I don't want to start, it is more that I have a list of projects that I want to work on longer then my arm. Maybe when I get closer to the end of that list, I will start. But who know what will be added before then....

And next of the list is more a sub-art: Blackwork. God help me and my bank account.

Comments

Popular Posts