Elizabethan Dress Dairy 2007: I was set up!

I have been sewing and making Renaissance Garb for just shy of a year now. I have made 2 Kirtels, a gown, a petticoat, a smock, and few things for my Husband that has a late period Highland Scott persona and my 2 year old daughter. I also have tried my hand at some embroidery.

In this past year I have learned a lot about sewing and garb in the 1500, since I started with 1530’s and have since moved to the 1560-170 to be closer to my husbands timeline of 1590’s. At first, I didn’t even want to look at the Elizabethan time (1560-1600’) since I hated the idea of a ruff since I hate turtle necks. But, I am now about to try one, hoping that I can make it feel a bit more comfy.

I decide to replicate this portrait using some stuff I already had for a friendly online competition. The rules where:

1. This is a competition for a Complete Outfit.
2. Accessories, Petticoats Bumrolls and Farthingales, and Pair of Bodyes.
3. How did you come up with your pattern, whether made from scratch, or which commercial patterns out there, so that others can learn from your work
4. Extra points given to hand sewing.
5. Extra points given to Embroidery work.
6. Starting August 15th at 6:00 a.m.(PST) and ending December 15th at 6:00 p.m. (PST).
7. Use what you have and we have a $40.00 purchase limit. Sewing basics like threads and Needles are not part of that $40.00.8. On December 15th Photos (emailed of course!) of each part of your outfit should be sent in, and we need a close up stitching if you have done something special.
A. Smock/Shirt
B. Pair of Bodyes and Bumrolls, Farthingales, Petticoats
C. Forepart, Kirtle, Partlet
D. Gown and Sleeves
E. Accessories- Jewelry, Hat, Gloves, Shoes, Fan

I made the mistake though, and told a friend, and in his mind, I am his “ward,” that I was going to do this, and I was going to do the embroidery by hand. He then promptly told me that I “HAD TO” enter it in to the SCA 12th Knight A&S Beginners Costuming competition! “WHAT!!! NO, I AM NOT READY!!!” “If you get it done, you better. With DOCUMENTATION! (Psycho MUSIC)” Now I was really scared. But it was a huge complement in that he thought I could get it done, and have it done well enough for a competition. So, let the research begain!

Comments

Amanda said…
wow, what an endever. Keep us updated! And try to update us more on this blog than on the last blog you made :)
Amanda

btw- you coming to the picnic on the 14th ?

Popular Posts